Historical Museum of Southern Florida

 

VISIONS OF THE CARIBBEAN

postcard
Enlarge picture (49 k)

 

The Red House.
Port of Spain: Malliard's, 1907-15.

The original capital of the Spanish colony of Trinidad was the inland community of St. Joseph. In 1757 the Governor moved his residence to Port of Spain, and in 1784 the town became the official capital. During the following years, the architecture of Port of Spain assumed a French Caribbean character, with an influx of planters and enslaved Africans from French islands. In 1797 the British captured Trinidad from Spain. During the nineteenth century, Port of Spain expanded and its residents constructed many prominent buildings. This collection of postcards from the early twentieth century provides a glimpse of some of the city's public spaces and buildings.

This building is located on Woodford Square, a shady gathering place in the heart of Port of Spain. The original Red House, Trinidad's principal government building, burned down in 1903 during the Water Riots, a protest against a proposed increase in water rates. The Red House shown here, a grandiose block-long building, opened in 1907.

Image no. 2004-215-9

Reproductions

Back | Next

 HISTORICAL MUSEUM
OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA

www.historical-museum.org