|Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Miami Woman's Club
by Rachel P. Roller
Appliqué, reverse appliqué, embroidery
In 1900 the Married Ladies Afternoon Club started the first library in Miami. In 1906 the club's name was changed to the Miami Woman's Club. Henry Flagler clearly recognized the potential and the worth of the club's enterprising spirit and in 1909 he donated a tract of land at what is now E. Flagler Street and 2nd Avenue to establish a home for the ever expanding library. But again, the club and library outgrew its premises, and in 1926 it established its new home in the Spanish Renaissance building depicted in this quilt block, located at 1737 NE Bayshore Drive. Since the 1970s the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historical Museum of Southern Florida