|Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Miami Shipbuilding Corporation
by Theodora (Teddie) B. Buhler
Photo transfer, appliqué, machine embroidery
Ms. Buhler's quilt block pays tribute to Miami Shipbuilding Corp, an institution on the Miami River which operated to 1960. It began in 1906, notes the quilter, when "Captain K.M. Large started a repair yard for fishing boats on the south shore of the Miami River on what was then SW 6th Terrace and SW 2nd Avenue." Ms. Buhler's husband worked for MSC, which was a strong presence on the river and a symbol of excellence. The ribbon under "Miami Shipbuilding Corporation" had been part of a banner wrapped around a bottle of champagne used to launch an MSC boat.
Historical Museum of Southern Florida