|Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Old Fort Dallas
by Florence H. Dence
Machine pieced, hand appliqué and embroidered
Built in 1849 as slave quarters for a short-lived plantation, Fort Dallas served as an army barracks during the Seminole War of 1855 - 1858 and became Julia Tuttle's home in 1891. The building, now located at 401 NW 3rd Street in Lummus Park, served as the meeting place for the Daughters of the American Revolution for many years. Ms. Dence, a Miami resident since 1941 and a DAR member, selected this historic building for her quilt block because of her pleasant memories of Fort Dallas.
Historical Museum of Southern Florida