|Historical Museum of Southern Florida
Biscayne Bay Yacht Club
by Barbara Buhler Meloy
Machine appliqué, machine embroidered
Commodore Ralph Munroe, Kirk Munroe (no relation) and J.W. Ewan began the Biscayne Bay Yacht Club in 1887. Ms. Meloy fashioned her quilt block by duplicating the cover of the book, One Hundred Years on Biscayne Bay, a history of the yacht club written by Stuart McIver. The clubhouse remains a Coconut Grove landmark, as is fitting, since it was built by one of Miami's pioneers.
Historical Museum of Southern Florida