|Historical Museum of Southern Florida
by Betty Simon
Appliqué, broderie perse and piecing and embroidery
Miami's City Hospital opened in June 25, 1918, just in time for the worst flu epidemic of the century. What started as an eighteen-bed, three-story building grew into the internationally renowned Jackson Memorial Hospital named for Dr. James M. Jackson, the company doctor of Flagler's Florida East Coast Railway. The Alamo, the original structure for City Hospital, was restored in 1979 and is now an information center and museum. In 1975, Ms. Simon designed the Public Health Trust flag, which flies outside the Alamo today.
Historical Museum of Southern Florida